Where Did God Come From? (And The Nature Of God)
Where Did God Come From?
Before getting into the subject of where God came from, given His infinite power, it might be best to find out what kind of person He is.
Let us touch on the nature of God by starting with the Bible.
Quotes From The Bible
This is a section of the New Testament which teaches about the true nature of God:
Luke 16 (Teaching The Golden Rule):
19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.
Why did the rich man go to hell?? Because he did not live the Golden Rule with respect to someone he literally saw every day!! I would call what the rich man did: "murder by not living the Golden Rule." That is why he went to hell.
8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
10 For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
In these profound versus, Isaiah is teaching the profound difference between the ways, intelligence and power of God versus our ways, our lack of intelligence and our lack of power (e.g. to create a Universe).
Quotes From The Book Of Mormon
2 Nephi 2:
26 And the Messiah cometh in the fulness of time, that he may redeem the children of men from the fall. And because that they are redeemed from the fall they have become free forever, knowing good from evil; to act for themselves and not to be acted upon, save it be by the punishment of the law at the great and last day, according to the
commandments which God hath given.
27 Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself.
28 And now, my sons, I would that ye should look to the great Mediator, and hearken unto his great commandments; and be faithful unto his words, and choose eternal life, according to the will of his Holy Spirit;
29 And not choose eternal death, according to the will of the flesh and the evil which is therein, which giveth the spirit of the devil power to captivate, to bring you down to hell, that he may reign over you in his own kingdom.
2 Nephi 2:26-29 (Book of Mormon)
The above verses teach the absolute importance of the Savior Jesus Christ!! Note that the devil wants us to be as miserable as he is.
2 Nephi 9:
28 O that cunning plan of the evil one! O the vainness, and the frailties, and the foolishness of men! When they are learned they think they are wise, and they hearken not unto the counsel of God, for they set it aside, supposing they know of themselves, wherefore, their wisdom is foolishness and it profiteth them not. And they shall perish.
29 But to be learned is good if they hearken unto the counsels of God.
30 But wo unto the rich, who are rich as to the things of the world. For because they are rich they despise the poor, and they persecute the meek, and their hearts are upon their treasures; wherefore, their treasure is their God. And behold, their treasure shall perish with them also.
2 Nephi 9:28-30 (Book of Mormon)
More warnings about why we need to be more like God. The Savior had the intelligence to be massively power and massively rich, but he close instead to serve others and sacrifice Himself.
23 For behold, thus saith the Lord: I will not show unto the wicked of my strength, to one more than the other, save it be unto those that repent of their sins, and hearken unto my words.
Helaman 7:23 (Book of Mormon)
God does not show "signs" to people about his power and wisdom the way a person would. When God does things, the atheists and evolutionists are not given too much information about what Judgment day will be like.
Quotes Of Prophets and Apostles In The Latter-Days
Here are quotes from presidents of the LDS church about God:
Joseph Smith - First President of the Mormon/LDS church
The classic discourse on the origin of God, and the Grand Council, is the "King Follett Discourse" given by Joseph Smith not long before he was martyred. Here is a link to this article:
Speech: King Follett Discourse (Joseph Smith)
Here is an article on the Grand Council:
Article: Grand Council
Brigam Young - Second President of the Mormon/LDS church
- "Many have tried to penetrate to the First Cause of all things [i.e. the origin of God]; but it would be as easy for an ant to number the grains of sand on the earth. It is not for man, with his limited intelligence, to grasp eternity in his comprehension ... It would be as easy for a gnat to trace the history of man back to his origin as for man to fathom the First Cause of all things, lift the veil of eternity, and reveal the mysteries that have been sought after by philosophers from the beginning."
Brigham Young, second president of the LDS church (October 9, 1859)
Journal of Discourses, Volume 7, Page 284
- He is the Supreme Controller of the universe. At his rebuke the sea is dried up, and the rivers become a wilderness. He measures the waters in the hollow of his hand, and meteth out heaven with a span, and comprehendeth the dust of the earth in a measure, and weigheth the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance; the nations to him are as a drop in a bucket, and he taketh up the isles as a very little thing; the hairs of our heads are numbered by him, and not a sparrow falleth to the ground without our Father; and he knoweth every thought and intent of the hearts of all living, for he is everywhere present by the power of his Spirit -- his minister, the Holy Ghost.
He is the Father of all, is above all, through all, and in you all [see Ephesians 4:6]; he knoweth all things pertaining to this earth, and he knows all things pertaining to millions of earths like this.
Brigham Young: 1998-1999 Priesthood/R.S. Manual - page 30
Journal of Discourses, Volume 11, Page 41
- What then, should be the calling and duty of the children of men? Instead of inquiring after the origin of Gods -- instead of trying to explore the depths of eternities that have been, that are, and that will be, instead of endeavoring to discover the boundaries of boundless space, let them seek to know the object of their present existence, and how to apply, in the most profitable manner for their mutual good and salvation, the intelligence they possess. Let them seek to know and thoroughly understand things within their reach, and to make themselves well acquainted with the object of their being here, by diligently seeking unto a super-power for information and by the careful study of the best books."
Journal of Discourses, Volume 7, Page 284
Brigham Young, second president of the LDS church
John Taylor - Third President of the Mormon/LDS church
- “No matter how serious the trial, how deep the distress, how great the affliction, [God] will never desert us. He never has, and He never will. He cannot do it. It is [against] His character [to do so]. He is an unchangeable being. … He will stand by us. We may pass through the fiery furnace; we may pass through deep waters; but we shall not be consumed nor overwhelmed. We shall emerge from all these trials and difficulties the better and the purer for them, if we only trust in our God and keep His commandments.”
"Freedom of the Saints," in Collected Discourses, comp. by Brian H. Stuy, 5 vols. [1987-92], 2:185
- For we, as Latter-day Saints, do not consider that our existence ends with time, as we generally term it, but that it reaches into eternity. And that while we are here in a state of probation to fulfill the various duties [placed] upon us, as Saints of the living God; while we come into the world and exist in it for a time and then leave it, we have hopes and aspirations beyond the grave, and anticipate that, as ages and cycles shall pass along and generation succeeds generation, if we are true to our trust and live our religion, keeping the commandments of God and fulfilling the various covenants [we have accepted] ..., that we shall associate with the just in the eternities to come! Therefore we are living, and hoping, and expecting, and planning, and contriving and operating, for the accomplishment of this object. We do not look upon the affairs of this life as those alone in which humanity is interested.
President John Taylor, January 2nd, 1881: "The Eternities Before the Saints"
Harold B. Lee (Former President Of The LDS Church)
"You may not like what comes from the authority of the Church [e.g. the Prophet]. It may contradict your political views ... [or] your social views. It may interfere with some of your social life. But if [we] listen to these things, as if from the mouth of the Lord himself, with patience and faith, the promise is that . . . ‘the Lord God will disperse the powers of darkness from before you, and cause the heavens to shake for your good, and his name’s glory’."
Harold B. Lee, in Conference Report, Oct.1970, 152; or Improvement Era, Dec. 1970, 126
Joseph Fielding Smith (Former President Of The LDS Church)
Man is the child of God, formed in the divine image and endowed with divine attributes, and even as the infant son of an earthly father and mother is capable in due time of becoming a man, so the undeveloped offspring of celestial parentage is capable, by experience through ages and aeons, of evolving [i.e. progressing] into a God.
Official Statement of the First Presidency: "The Origin of Man"
Joseph F. Smith, President (plus the rest of the First Presidency), November, 1909
Bruce R. McConkie (Former Apostle Of The LDS Church)
"There is no salvation in a system of religion that rejects the doctrine of the Fall [i.e. Fall of Adam and Eve[ or that assumes man is the end product of evolution and so was not subject to a fall."
Bruce R. McConkie, “The Caravan Moves On,” Ensign, Nov 1984, 82
Quote of First Presidency in 1909 ("The Origin of Man")
"Man, by searching, cannot find out God. Never, unaided, will he discover the truth about the beginning of human life. The Lord must reveal Himself or remain unrevealed; and the same is true of the facts relating to the origin of Adam’s race—God alone can reveal them. Some of these facts, however, are already known, and what has been made known it is our duty to receive and retain.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, basing its belief on divine revelation, ancient and modern, proclaims man to be the direct and lineal offspring of Deity. God Himself is an exalted man, perfected, enthroned, and supreme. By His almighty power He organized the earth and all that it contains, from spirit and element, which exist coeternally with Himself. He formed every plant that grows and every animal that breathes, each after its own kind, spiritually and temporally—“that which is spiritual being in the likeness of that which is temporal, and that which is temporal in the likeness of that which is spiritual.”
He made the tadpole and the ape, the lion and the elephant, but He did not make them in His own image, nor endow them with godlike reason and intelligence. Nevertheless, the whole animal creation will be perfected and perpetuated in the Hereafter, each class in its “distinct order or sphere,” and will enjoy “eternal felicity.” That fact has been made plain in this dispensation (see D&C 77:3).
Quotes Of Living Apostles (Quorum of the Twelve)
Quote Of President Russell M. Nelson (Living)
"Who are we? We are children of God. Our potential is unlimited. Our inheritance is sacred."
"We Are Children of God," Ensign, October, 1998
Quote of Jefferey R. Holland (Living)
"Those who will receive the Lord Jesus Christ as the source of their salvation will always lie down in green pastures, no matter how barren and bleak the winter has been. And the waters of their refreshment will always be still waters, no matter how turbulent the storms of life. In walking His path of righteousness, our souls will be forever restored; and though that path may for us, as it did for Him, lead through the very valley of the shadow of death, yet we will fear no evil. The rod of His priesthood and the staff of His Spirit will always comfort us. And when we hunger and thirst in the effort, He will prepare a veritable feast before us, a table spread even in the presence of our enemies—contemporary enemies—which might include fear or family worries, sickness or personal sorrow of a hundred different kinds."
Jeffrey R. Holland: " He Hath Filled the Hungry with Good Things’,” Ensign, Nov 1997, 64
Latter-Day Saint (Mormon) Pamphlets
"Under the direction of Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ created the heavens and the earth (see Mosiah 3:8; Moses 2:1). From scripture revealed through the Prophet Joseph Smith, we know that in the work of the Creation, the Lord organized elements that had already existed (see Abraham 3:24). He did not create the world “out of nothing,” as some people believe.
The scriptures also teach that Adam was “the first man of all men” (Moses 1:34). God created Adam and Eve in His own image and in the image of His Only Begotten (see Moses 2:26–27).
The Creation is an integral part of Heavenly Father’s plan of salvation. It gives each of us the opportunity to come to the earth, where we receive a physical body and exercise our agency. In the premortal Council of the Gods, the following declaration was made: “We will go down, for there is space there, and we will take of these materials, and we will make an earth whereon these may dwell; and we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them.”
Pearl of Great Price: Abraham 3:24–25 (on website: www.lds.org)
You are a spirit child of God, and your body is created in His image.
Booklet: True to the Faith (on website: https://www.lds.org/manual/true-to-the-faith?lang=eng
In the premortal existence, Heavenly Father prepared a plan to enable us to become like Him and receive a fullness of joy. The scriptures refer to this plan as "the plan of salvation," "the great plan of happiness," "the plan of redemption," and the "plan of mercy."
To Get To The Home Page Of This Website
If you came to this page from another page on the Prophets Or Evolution website, such as the Home Page, just close this window.
If you came to this page from Google, here is how to get to the home page:
Home Page of the Prophets Or Evolution Website